6th Life Discovery – Doing Science Biology Education Conference
The ecological sciences are well positioned to serve as bridges between research, life experiences, and societal needs. Engaging all students in ecological thinking, including non-majors, is vital in a world where public attitudes toward science are ambivalent and polarized. As we embark into a new decade, how can we prepare all students to be ecologically literate in order to make informed personal and professional decisions? Join us to share and learn practical strategies in Pushing Past Barriers: Ecological Science for All.
2020 Thematic Tracks:
· Engaging non science majors
· Connecting current events to curriculum
· Incorporating cultural relevance for diverse audiences
· Addressing systemic barriers to implementation
Pushing Past Barriers: Ecological Science for All
In recent years, we have seen a significant change in public attitudes in support of climate science and sustainability. At the same time, whether it is about food safety, endangered species or protection of waterways, we continue to see the latest science being pushed aside in public discourse. As we embark into a new decade, ensuring that ecology is relevant to all students is vital so that we can prepare all students to be ecology-literate.
- How do we transform ecological teaching in order to maintain a connection with a vast student population that is not interested in science and retain those who are to become science researchers and professionals?
- How do we encourage nonscience majors to take away important messages that will inform their personal and professional decisions?
- What does a science-based, culturally relevant and inclusive curriculum that connects student learning to current events look like?
The ecological sciences are well positioned to serve as bridges between research, life experiences, and societal needs. Join us to share and learn practical strategies in Pushing Past Barriers: Ecological Science for All.
Call for Proposals will open late January
For more information click here.