Botanical Society of America

2001 BSA Council Meeting Agenda


ALL of the reports in one file (currently 59 pages): [WORD format] [PDF format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:


BOTANICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA
2001 COUNCIL MEETING
Sunday, August 12, 2001
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Hyatt, Fiesta 3-4
Albuquerque, NM

AGENDA

  1. Call to Order and Introductions (Pat Gensel)

  2. Approval of Minutes of 2000 Council Meeting [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:

  3. 9:15-10:30 AM DISCUSSION SESSION
    A. What should BSA be offering its members?
    B. What directions/initiatives should BSA be taking in next several years?

  4. 10:35-LUNCH: MORNING BUSINESS SESSION: Council plus Representatives review business items following format below. Note: All reports are available electronically at http://www.botany.org/bsa/membership/council2001/ prior to the Council meeting. Please download the reports, read them PRIOR to the meeting, and bring hard copies with you. We will discuss the contents of the reports at the Council meeting, giving priority in the morning to ones indicated by a * and ones with specified action items, followed by the remaining ones.

    A. President (Pat Gensel) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    B. Past President (Doug Soltis) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    C. President Elect (Judy Jernstedt) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    D. Secretary (Jenny Richards) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    E. Treasurer (Ed Schneider)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    F. Meeting Coordinator (Wayne Elisens)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    G. Program Director (Jeff Osborn)* [WORD format] September 1 deadline for symposium proposals Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    H. Editor, American Journal of Botany (Karl Niklas)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    I. Editor, Plant Science Bulletin (Marsh Sundberg)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    J. Webmaster (Scott Russell)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    K. Business Manager (Kim Hiser)* [presented at meeting]

  5. Reports of Committees, Sections, and Representatives

    A. Committees
    1. Annual Meetings Coordinating Committee (Wayne Elisens) [WORD format] [same as above] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    2. Annual Meetings Program Committee (Jeff Osborn) [WORD format] [same as above] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    3. Archives and History Committee (Ronald Stuckey) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    4. Committee on Committees (Judy Jernstedt) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    5. Conservation Committee (William Hahn) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    6. Corresponding Members Committee (Doug Soltis) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    7. Darbaker Prize Committee (David Garbary) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    8. Education Committee (David Kramer)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    9. Election Committee (Doug Soltis)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    10. Esau Award Committee (Phil Gibson) [student presentation award judged at meeting] [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    11. Financial Advisory Committee (Jack Horner)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    12. Karling Awards Committee (Kathleen Kron) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    13. Membership and Appraisal Committee (Kathleen Shea) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    14. Merit Awards Committee (Linda Graham) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    15. Moseley Award Committee (Michael Frohlich) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    16. Pelton Award Committee (Scott Russell) [WORD format] (no award in 2001) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    17. Publications Committee (Judy Jernstedt)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    18. Webpage Committee (Scott Russell) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    19. Membership Tiers Committee (Scott Russell)* [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:

    B. Sections
    1. Bryological and Lichenological Section (Paula DePriest) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    2. Developmental and Structural Section (Jean Gerrath) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    3. Ecology Section (Maxine Watson) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    4. Economic Botany Section (Daniel K. Harder) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    5. Genetics Section (Jeri Higginbotham) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    6. Historical Section (Laurence J. Dorr) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    7. Mycological Section (David S. Hibbett) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    8. Paleobotanical Section (Steve R. Manchester) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    9. Phycological Section (Louise A. Lewis) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    10. Physiological Section (Peter F. Straub) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    11. Phytochemical Section (James W. Wallace) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    12. Pteridological Section (Thomas A. Ranker) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    13. Systematics Section (J. Mark Porter) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    14. Teaching Section (Henri Maurice) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    15. Tropical Biology Section (Susanne Renner) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    16. Midcontinent Section (Robert S. Wallace) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    17. Northeastern Section (Karl Anderson) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    18. Pacific Section (Dieter Wilkin) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    19. Southeastern Section (James L. Mickle) Last modified: PDF: DOC:

    C. Representatives to other Organizations
    1. AAAS (Patrick Herendeen) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    2. AIBS (Pat Gensel) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    3. CSSP (Judy Jernstedt) Last modified: PDF: DOC:
    4. ASC (Larry Skog) [WORD format] Last modified: PDF: DOC:

  6. Old Business

    A. Bylaws changes (Jenny Richards)
    B. Other items of Old Business

  7. New Business

    A. 2001 BSA Budget (Ed Schneider)
    B. 2001 Business Office, AJB, and PSB Budgets (Kim Hiser)
    C. Membership Tiers (Scott Russell, Pat Gensel)
    D. Strategic Plan (Pat Gensel)
    E. Proposed name change of Ecology Section
    F. Election of Council Representative to the Executive Committee (EC)
    G. What are membersí feelings about receiving messages via email about Society issues? About having an open board on the net for e-mail discussion?*

  8. AFTERNOON SESSION - COUNCIL ONLY: 1-3 PM

    Revisit Action items and vote, following same format (items 4-7).

  9. Adjournment


REMINDERS: