The Botanical Society of America announces the establishment of a new “Emerging Leader Award” to be given annually in recognition of creative and influential scholarship in any area of botany reflecting the breadth of BSA. Awardees will have produced outstanding scholarship and also demonstrated exceptional promise for future accomplishment. The awardee will be recognized at the annual banquet and have the opportunity to present a special lecture at the following years’ meeting, with all reasonable meeting expenses covered by the BSA. The awardee will also receive five year’s membership in the society, free publication in the American Journal of Botany for two years, and an invitation to submit a special paper to AJB.
Eligibility: 1) The candidate must be within eight years of earning a Ph.D. (or equivalent) (not including time on parental or other leave) and 2) must be a member of the Botanical Society of America.
Nomination/Application Process: Established researchers are encouraged to nominate outstanding young scientists who may be unaware of the existence and prestige of this prize. Candidates may also apply directly. Each candidacy must be supported by the following materials detailing the candidate's career to date:
(1) Complete the tracking form below,
Send the following documents in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org:
(2) applicants curriculum vitae,
(3) a summary of research accomplishments and vision for future activities including research and, if applicable, education, outreach, and service. This document should be no more than three pages,
(4) pdf copies of three recent publications,
(5) names and contact details of the two referees (including the nominator where applicable) who have sent supporting letters. N.B.: The letters of reference should be sent separately, but no application will be considered without these letters.
Process for Selection of Awardee: The BSA Merit Award Committee will evaluate the applications.